Thursday, November 18, 2010

I love my horse.

      I have been having a really crazy, stressful and emotional week so haven't made it down to the barn as often as I should so haven't had much to update on much less the time to update but some how am up to 4 followers so some people read this. Today I went down after my test and because of winter it was dark. I am so glad this barn has a lighted indoor arena so if I can make it out there I can ride. The pastures were a soupy mess from the recent rain but Banico was blanketed so he wasn't to dirty. Its about time to break out the muck boots. I talked to the barn owner a bit about Banico's weight and some other stuff. Banico had lost a bunch of weigh on the trip from CA and just the change in food and climate. He does seem like he has gained some of it back but still not where we would like him going into winter but we are keeping an eye on it. I then went and got him tacked up and went into the indoor to ride. He did try to go for the hay that had blown in one of the doors but a few kicks got him going. He is SO food obsessed. Poor starving horse. He was very good for the warm up and I took the jump down on the one side to poles so we could use the entire arena. It is a bit small for him but it is ridable and I am just glad to have somewhere to ride in the winter. Part way through the ride I decided to unclip my reins and put them around his neck. He was amazing. He did just about everything I asked but bridleless. Well he had a bridle on but no reins. I have played around with it a few times but never completely. But really I don't have to have to use my reins much anyways during his normal rides so it wasn't much of a step up. The only real problem was coming to a complete  halt but I think he just wanted to keep going. Downward transitions were great and he even did some lead changes for me. I love this horse. He has his moments but we have such a connection now.  My barn owner has told me a few times that she would love to ride him some time but is scared to because of some of the stuff he did when he first got here and he is a challenging horse to ride at times but "It is the difficult horses that have the most to give you". He was a VERY difficult baby especialy through his 4 year old year. He has dumped me more than just about every other horse combined but I can do just about anything with him now. I think this also applys to life in general where getting through the difficult times make you grow so much more as a person than if you just have it easy all the time. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the update . Know that going through difficult times can be rough,
    Glad you have and outletand that Banico is gaing weight and behaving with loving care.
    With tha new freedom he seems to still know your in control.Great job.
    Miss you butknow how strong you are.
    love
    Beach grandma & Pa

    ReplyDelete